Some Great Reasons to Commute by Bike
I started commuting by bike to save a little money, and accidentally transformed my life. For starters I saved a TON of money. After reading and researching a litte further I realized how silly it is to drive an inefficient, heavy, and expensive car around all the time. When I did the math and realized that 20% of my income was going to support my vehicle I almost puked. Imagine the vacations I could have been taking! I set out to prove to myself and the world that I could live and work and function just fine without a car and I found it was ridiculously easy and very rewarding. Some of my favorite reasons why you might want to bike to work and the grocery store:
- It’s not (all) about the environment, it’s about maximizing your time and money.
- Biking is at least as safe as driving a car. Read the stats. More
- Cars aren’t as fast as you think. Sometimes bikes are faster. More
- Save tons of money. I’ve saved $570 per month and I’m an average guy. More
- Cars ruin the things we love, and it’s not just the pollution. More
- Here's the shocker: You can survive (even thrive) without a car!
Update, May 15, 2009
Last week marked the 2-year anniversary of when I sold my car. Been doing fine, rain or shine! The quick math says that I have saved $13,360 in those years. My out-of-pocket expenses were about $570 per month - pretty typical with a car payment, gas, insurance, upkeep, etc. Add up your own cost of driving.
On the Solutions Page
On the Safety Page
Year-round bike commuting, no problem!
Maybe bike commuting isn't for you. That's OK too.
With JUST a bike:
- Get to and from work every day
- Ride in any kind of weather
- Pickup groceries
- Go out to happy hour
- Go to business meetings
- Run all kinds of errands
Get a cheap, used car for:
- Driving to the mountains
- Visiting relatives out of town
- Bringing home new furniture
- Loading up the kids after a game
- Taking the St. Bernard to the vet
Amazon Ads - I've included a few links to Amazon products throughout the site. These are there for your convenience, and maybe I'll make up a little of the cost of running the site (probably not). It's not a money maker, these are just my personal product suggestions, get 'em wherever you like!
Submit Your Feedback
Share your ideas, stories, arguments - whatever. Every single submission will be read and carefully considered - I promise. Useful information will be added to the site.